Posted on 5 Comments

Matte Black vs. Photo Black

Most modern pigment inkjet printers use both a photo black ink and a matte black ink (not simultaneously though). In trying to develop a darker black ink for uncoated papers (cotton fine art, watercolor papers and other matte uncoated papers) the manufacturers were unable to get the ink to dry on coated papers, so they had to resort to two inks. Standard black, usually referred to as photo black, for glossy, semigloss, satin, semimatte, and luster papers, and matte black, which prints darker on the uncoated fine art papers but doesn’t dry on the coated papers.

Customers often ask if they need to use Matte Black ink with a certain paper. There are several ways to find out.
Continue reading Matte Black vs. Photo Black