The mission of GRACoL® is to improve communications and education in the graphic arts by maintaining the accuracy and the relevance of the GRACoL® document in reporting the influence and impact of new technologies in the workflow of commercial offset lithography.
Consistent Color No Matter What
Basically, GRACoL® will help print buyers get consistent color no matter what print medium they choose to use as long as the print vendor is utilizing the G7 methodology.
GRACoL guidelines and recommendations
GRACoL® helps print buyers, designers, and specifiers work more effectively with print suppliers. By following the GRACoL guidelines and recommendations, you will benefit in the following ways:
- Reduce costs, decrease turn-around times, and avoid re-makes.
- Develop internal guidelines for reliable process controls.
- Acquire print predictability: know what you’ll get on press before you get there.
- Demonstrate printing quality through achievable print guidelines and target goals.
- Build upon the education in fundamentals of printing and developing technologies.
- Clarification of what is reasonable to ask of print suppliers.
Benefits of Becoming a MasterPrinter:
- MasterPrinters will be listed on the GRACoL, SWOP and IDEAlliance websites in a MasterPrinters database with a link and contact information. This database will be searchable by state, area code, printer name and printing services offered.
- The printer can use the MasterPrinter Qualification mark on their website and in marketing materials indicating the ability of the printer to achieve a close visual match from proof to printed output and from printer to printer.
- MasterPrinters qualify for a 10% discount on purchases of the IDEALink Curve Calculator software and will receive a partner discount for IDEAlliance conferences and publications.
Bruce Bayne, Founder and President of Alder, was one of the first printing professionals to train as a GRACoL® Expert. Printers can be qualified as GRACoL MasterPrinters through Alder’s GRACoL set-up, and training process.
The IDEAlliance MasterPrinter qualification program will identify those printing companies who have been trained to print to the new G7™ Methodology and can produce a press sheet to GRACoL aims within acceptable tolerances. The qualification mark means that the printer uses the most modern technology, techniques and process controls and standards required to produce high-quality commercial printing.
MasterPrinter Qualification Requirements:
- The printer seeking MasterPrinter qualification must be either a GRACoL Network Member or a full IDEAlliance member.
- The printer will fill out an audit form that lists their equipment including proofers, plate setters, presses and measurement devices.
- The printer will be required to list their source for ISO qualified inks and the G7 expert they plan to work with.
- With the assistance of a qualified G7 expert, the printer will first complete a characterization press run, using a Press Form that meets GRACoL requirements. The NPDCs from the sheet will be plotted as per the GRACoL Methodology. The printer will compare the NPDCs from the calibration run to the GRACoL 7 Curves and calculate the curve correction values. The curve correction data will be provided by the consultant as part of the qualification submission.
- The printer will apply the correction values and perform a calibration run based on the correction values. The printer will plot the resulting final print density curves and the data will be provided by the consultant as part of the qualification submission.
- The G7 Expert will recommend qualification for those printers completing the calibration and characterization exercise. The consultant must submit the qualification application to IDEAlliance on behalf of the printer for initial qualification as a MasterPrinter.
Other Benefits of Becoming a MasterPrinter:
MasterPrinters will be listed on the GRACoL, SWOP and IDEAlliance websites in a MasterPrinters database with a link and contact information. This database will be searchable by state, area code, printer name and printing services offered.
By completing the process the printer will have not only calibrated and characterized their presses and proofers, but set in place process and quality controls that will translate into shorter make readies and higher quality.
The printer can use the MasterPrinter Qualification mark on their website and in marketing materials indicating the ability of the printer to achieve a close visual match from proof to printed output and from printer to printer.
MasterPrinters qualify for a 10% discount on purchases IDEAL Curve Calculator software and will receive a partner discount for IDEAlliance conferences and publications.